Menu Plan Monday this week actually starts with Tuesday’s menu this week. Today we just made some of whatever was in the pantry. Normally I wouldn’t be able to do that. Usually I buy groceries one week at a time, and when we get to the end of the week, there’s pretty much nothing left.
The last two months or so I’ve been over-shopping a little at the grocery store, spending about 20-30$ more than my normal weekly amount and coming home with enough food (and other necessary items) for about two weeks instead of one – minus some additional fresh fruit and veggies that needs to be bought for the second week. That’s partially because I’m making many things from scratch – yogurt, bread, tortillas, pizza dough, pizza sauce, spaghetti sauce, etc. Since I do, I can stock up more on the (cheaper) basic items that I use to make each of these – milk, flour, tomato sauce – instead of the more expensive ‘specialty’ items.
Included in that bill is a little bit of stocking up for the pantry and the freezer. I’ve been buying extra canned veggies and fruits, peanut butter, rice, beans, flour, sugar, tea bags (definitely a necessity, right?), salsa, seasonings & spices, crackers, oatmeal, canned meats, block cheeses (you can freeze those, you know), pasta, tomato sauce, etc, etc. Each week I rotate the different things I buy extra and don’t buy some things entirely. Sure, I use a little of my extra each week, but I keep adding more than I’m using and my collection is growing.
The obvious benefit of this is that we CAN scrounge around for things in the pantry when it’s time to go to the store and we haven’t yet. The other benefit is that, being self-employed, when we have a week of slow business, I’ve got extras stocked up to eat out of if we need to. It’s not only smart, but it makes me feel a whole lot better with December coming (which is often a slow month for us in the computer business – people are off spending their money on Christmas presents instead of fixing their computers!)
So anyway, on to the menu, right
Tuesday (gonna do a lot of cleaning so keeping it light):
- Breakfast ~ Cereal, Fruit, OJ
- Lunch ~ Sandwiches, Chips
- Snack ~ Veggies, Ranch
- Supper ~ Salisbury steak, Steamed Squash, Black Eyed Peas, Salad
- Breakfast ~ Truck Stop Buttermilk Pancakes, Fruit
- Lunch ~ Baked Potatoes
- Snack ~ Yogurt & Fruit
- Supper ~ Chicken Soft Tacos, Spanish Rice, Beans
- Breakfast ~ Eggs, Bacon, Toast
- Lunch ~ Nacho Supremes
- Snack ~ Pretzels, Fruit, Cheese
- Supper ~ Pasta & Red Sauce, Slow Cooker Meatballs, Salad
Friday (my little boy’s 3rd bday!):
- Breakfast ~ Chef LaLa’s French Toast, Turkey Bacon, Fruit
- Lunch ~ Hot dogs, Chips, Pickle
- Snack (small bday party at BK)
- Supper ~ Glazed Meatloaf, Homemade Mac N Cheese, Ranch Beans, Dinner Rolls
- Breakfast ~ Biscuits & Gravy, Turkey Bacon
- Lunch ~ Tuna Salad Sandwiches, Sliced Veggies, Chips
- Snack ~ Sliced apples, peanut butter, graham crackers
- Supper ~ (celebration at MILs house) Taco Soup, Bday Cake, Ice Cream
- Breakfast ~ Yogurt, Fruit
- Lunch ~ Crockpot Chili & Cornbread
- Snack ~ Orange Wedges, Homemade Pretzels, Raisins
- Supper ~ Calzones, Salad
Menu Plan Monday is hosted by Laura the Org Junkie!