Snow Fairy has started a meme over at her place and she’s asked me to join in. I haven’t participated in any kitchen memes, so hey, why not? 🙂 So here goes, 8 random things from my kitchen/cooking.
1.) I can’t handle having my kids in the kitchen when I am cooking. They are either pulling a step up to the stove to see what is going on (which is bad because then Little Prince wants to see too and that stresses me out) or they’re chasing each other back and forth through our long, skinny kitchen and getting in the way. As a result I had to create what I call ‘a silly rule’ (but never to them) – one of those rules I can’t believe I even have to make – that they’re aren’t allowed to set foot in the kitchen while I am making breakfast or dinner. I do try to let them help with lunch if I can stomach it. 🙂
2.) Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I prefer to eat something hot rather than something like a bowl of cereal, though I prefer the ease of the bowl of cereal over cooking something hot, and I haven’t yet mastered starting the hot meals early enough each time so that about half the time, breakfast is practically brunch. 😛
3.) I don’t bake much so my baking supplies in my pantry are very limited. I have brown sugar, powdered sugar, vanilla, baking soda and some spices. Odds are that if you’re going to come bake something at my house you probably need to bring some supplies with you.
4.) I like to experiment and try new things.
5.) My family hates it when I experiment and try new things. 🙂
6.) I don’t like making tea with a tea-maker. I like to use a tea kettle on the stove– a tea kettle with a whistle. 😉 Also, we drinks lots of iced tea here. LOTS.
7.) On the other hand, I love my coffee pot. (No fancy presses or anything, just get me an electric coffee pot.) I do like grinding my own beans but haven’t done that in a while. I’ve traded in my fancy beans for store-brand ground coffee. (And then I add a good portion of milk, a small spoon of sugar, and a squirt of chocolate.)
8.) Our kitchen is the first room you walk into when you come into our home (back door – rarely use the front one) , which means that I clean my kitchen a lot. And yet, it never looks clean and I’m never completely happy with it. I think a fresh coat a paint and some new flooring could help with that, though. 😛
So now to pass this on to a few people. There are no rules, just 8 random things about your kitchen and or cooking. Have fun with it. (It is Friday, after all!!) This is a meme of 8 so I’m picking 8 lucky ducks to participate.
- Mama Nut – I know she’ll have fun with this one. She’s like Tim Allen with kitchen gadgets and she’s a really good cook, too!
- Laura – I know you’re busy, but as the go-to organizer, I’m curious to know what kitchen life is like for you. 🙂
- Charity – As a fellow homeschooler, I’d love to hear your 8 things. Really.
- Kim – I love the tag in her blog header: “Dear Lord, put your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.” A prayer I need to pray often. 🙂 So, Kim, I’m curious to know more about what goes IN your mouth or how you prepare it, or any other random tidbit about your kitchen in general.
- Milehimama – One busy lady! Tell me, so what’s life like in your kitchen?
- Amanda – Living life in another country, she’s often blogged about the new foods she has tried. I’m wondering what random and interesting things she has to share with us. 🙂
- Amy Jane – Loves all things written.. so how do you feel about food?? =)
- Momma Knows – Last but not least, what is kitchen life like for you? With “five kids and a dog” it can’t be boring! 😉
Edited: Due to my state of confusion (see comments below), I’ve inadvertently tagged the same person who tagged me (I know, it’s embarrassing.) Instead of naming a replacement, let me just simply open this meme up to anybody else who wants to join in. And let me also say, I’m never offended by those who choose not to participate. (I don’t participate in all of them either.) So if you don’t want to…. don’t. 🙂