In my life this week…
What a week! It’s been ALL. OVER. the place! This past weekend we did some yard work, that believe it or not, was actually quite nice! Princess and I had picked up some flowers and bird feeders on our date night so we potted the flowers, cleaned out the other old flower pots and discovered that one of my baby oak trees from several years ago is STILL ALIVE! Saturday evening we spent with my inlaws and Sunday evening was spent watching the solar eclipse – what we got to see before the sun set. We had a good family-oriented weekend.
This week has brought a variety of work and play, another trip to the dentist for me (to put on my permanent crown,) an afternoon with my mom and grandma, and plans made for our first big canning day this Saturday.
In our homeschool this week…
This week didn’t go nearly as well as last week did. I wasn’t 100% on top of my game, and I felt like I had to fight for it to keep us going. Perhaps we are ALL feeling the call of the summer break! (But we’re not through til the end of June!)
However, we have 6 more lessons left in our history book – we’ll be done in a week or two! And then I have a few fun things planned for reviewing what we’ve learned this year. We also only have one more chapter left in our bible worldview book as well. Another week or two. So very soon our “load” with lighten and that will free us up to knock out our remaining science and language arts workbooks. We’re getting close to the end of the year!!
Other fun things from school this week: our butterfly pupa “hatched.” (What do you call it when the butterfly emerges?) We discovered a new kind of caterpillar and eggs on our tree. The girls spent an afternoon helping my mother in law prep her dining room walls for painting (they’ll go back and help her paint, too–real life experiences, right?!) I started hammering out our curriculum list for next year. And I read Jimmie’s “Designing Your Language Arts Curriculum” book and THEN discovered a gold mine of things I ALREADY have on computer to teach them language arts next year. Several of them were items I’d downloaded during Scholastic’s last Dollar Days sale and then forgotten about!! (I like free and frugal!) I’ll be getting a list up for those, soon, but in the mean time, I’m feeling very encouraged about language arts next year.
My favorite thing this week was…
Hard to pick one!
Watching the eclipse?
Spending time with my mom and grandma?
Tuesday’s Notebooking Publisher party?
What’s working/not working for us…
Not taking a break… it’s not working. I just realized that it’s been a while since we took a week off and I’m sure that has something to do with our “antsy” feeling. I’ve decided that today (Friday) and Monday are going to be Days Off for a long holiday weekend!
Questions/Thoughts I Have:
I strolled around the wildflowers this week and took a picture of a few that I’d like to identify:
Things I’m working on…
- Paperwork & filing. (YUCK.) But it needs to be done, it feels good to get it done.
- Finishing up the decluttering and organizing of the school bookcases.
- Going through files of e-books & pdfs to see what I have that I can use for next year.
- Finishing touches on the blog. I’ve added our Curriculum Page back in and made a few other tweaks to pages.
- I’m still reading in Isaiah — I’m not sure what chapter I’m on…
- I found my book I had misplaced, the one we’re reading in our ladies’ group at church, One Simple Act. Caught back up on that one.
- We’re going through the Francis Chan series “BASIC” in our Sunday morning adult class. Each week we have a handout to read through before class the next week.
- This week I read Jimmie’s “Designing Your Language Arts Curriculum” and now I’m in the middle of her “Notebooking Success” ebook.
A photo, video, link, or quote to share…
A little bit of linky love for you:
- A new set of blog post organizer printables from Homeschoolin’ Mama!
- “What about e-books?” A helpful Squidoo lens about storing, printing, binding ebooks.
- A butterfly unit study from Homeschool Scientist
- Art Instruction DVD set GIVEAWAY at Holy Spirit-Led Homschooling
- Today’s the LAST
dayWEEKEND (she changed it!) to save on membership pricing for the Notebooking Treasury!
- Free periodic table pages from Five J’s.
- Ami @ Walking by the Way just released her “Copywork Lessons for Future Heroes” – copywork for boys grades 3+
- Child Training Bible giveaway from Jennifer Janes.
- Adorable printable zoo trivia card to take on your next zoo trip from Meet Penny.